Sunday, September 27, 2009

Living Great

It is reported that James Michener, walking upon the deck of an aircraft carrier during WWII thought, “When this war is over, I’m not going to be the same guy. I’m going to live as if I were a great man.”

These words resound inside me. My grief has receded (most of the time) - my travail nears its end. I am not the same person that I was. I occasionally try to climb back into the old skin, but it doesn’t fit anymore. It is dry, has lost its elasticity, and it keeps falling off. I look ridiculous trying to hold it around me.

I will live as thought I were a great woman. I will live larger, not smaller, because of my sorrow. I will not look for undersized holes in which to crouch. I will expand. I will unfold my entire being, and I will take up my full share of this space-time continuum – and then some. I will live as though I were a great woman.

No comments:

Post a Comment